Be content whatever the circumstances

Tonight, our church begins our mid-week services again. We eat (a definite plus for me and my family!!!) and then the children do their programs while the adults have several study and fellowship opportunities. John and I are leading a study on the Biblical principles presented in the songs of the Rolling Stones. Big stretch, I know.

Tonight, we are studying about finding contentment. Our song is "Satisfaction." The scripture we will study is Philippians 4:4-13. I have been thinking about those verses a LOT lately, especially in light of our quest for Financial Peace. I have actually been studying that scripture for a while. Here's one part that I especially like...


10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I don't really know what it is like to be in need. I know very well what it is like to be in want. In lust. In greed. In envy. But not need. I haven't yet learned the secret of being content,but I'm working on it. I am striving to find joy in the plenty that I have, and not yearn for things I want but certainly do not need.

I remember learning Philippians 4:13 when I was a little girl, and reciting it often when things got tough. I used it out of context, though. I clung to it when I had a test that was going to be hard, or when a friend hurt my feelings. I would spout it when I was going into a competition that I really wanted to win, or when I was facing what I deemed a "crisis" in my young life. I didn't really think of it the way Paul intended it. Jesus is not a safety net, a band-aid, or an emergency response team.

Christ is the source of all my strength.He is the very essence of my ability to do anything.

Let me remember that today and everyday. Apart from Him, I can do nothing. Through Him, all is possible.

Comments

Megan said…
UGH! Like a knife to my heart! Something I needed to hear, my dear! Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Elly: I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks! -- Kelly Bartley

Popular Posts