Are you better off now than you were four years ago?

I used to love politics. Now, I'm one of the disillusioned many who struggle to find a candidate who speaks my language. I watched last night's debate, and this thought occurred to me. I stewed about it and posted it on my Facebook page:

"Am I better off today than I was four years ago? Oh, yeah- but not in the way the politicians seem to be focusing on. Four years ago, I had just been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was sick and in pain and slowly dying. Today, I'm in remission and living well. Four years ago, I had a job that was crushing my soul. Today, I LOVE to come to work. Four years ago, I went through the motions of church and spiritual practices but I wasn't fully awake. Today, I'm living in community with a vibrant bunch of committed Christians who encourage and challenge me to reach new depths, and as a result, I'm seeing God move in my life in mighty ways. So, yes, I'm so much better off today than I was four years ago, but it sure isn't due to the person sitting in the Oval Office. Nope. All thanks and praise and glory goes to a much higher power- the One seated on the Throne of Grace, "He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see (1 Tim 6:15-16)." That's way better than a stinky old president!!!"

To expand on that- I think our society is so caught up in who to blame for our misfortunes that we rarely give thanks to the ONE who grants us our very breath of life. I could generate a list of stuff that stinks about the world we live in and the state of affairs even in my little corner where there is a never ending to do list of bills to pay, chores to do, repairs to be made, and all other manner of pressures and demands and stresses. But guess what? None of that REALLY matters in the grand eternal scheme. Those things are going to be around as long as we are living in this world.

What really matters is where we rest our hope. No politician is going to do the work that mounts up at home and at school. No matter who is elected I'll still have a stash of unmatched socks and a mountain of laundry. The POTUS doesn't impact what I'll cook for dinner, and he sure doesn't come over to help wash dishes. My hope doesn't rest in an elected official who neither knows me nor loves me.

My hope rests in my creator. The author and perfector of my faith. Jehovah-Jirah, the Lord  who will provide. The everlasting. The light of the world. The prince of peace.

Am I better off now than I was four years ago? Yes. And, I will continue to be better off, maybe not in material riches, but in all the things that matter, because "my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness....On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand."

Comments

Popular Posts