Why bother?

Some people wonder why they should bother with Bible study. They think it is outdated, inaccurate, irrelevant, too time consuming, and too confusing. I disagree. I think it Bible study is essential to living a life rooted and grounded in Christ.

Here's what Proverbs, THE book of wisdom, has to say about those who ignore the word of God:

"Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me, since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord. Since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke, they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes. For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm”  (Proverbs 1: 28-33).

Now, I'm not big on the use of threats to get people to buy into religious concepts. That's not my point. I just think that it makes sense to realize that rejecting God's advice and ignoring Him when He points out the sin in your life has a natural consequence. You reap what you sow. Being complacent-choosing not to hunger and thirst for righteousness, but to keep doing only what you wish to do- will destroy you.

A relationship with God isn't a one-sided thing. He's not our genie in a bottle, here only to grant our requests. He wants to dwell in us, to shape us and refine us, and to use us for His service. It requires our commitment and a willingness to allow ourselves to be transformed by His grace and His teaching.

Comments

Popular Posts