Advent begins!

Today is the first Sunday in Advent, the beginning of the Christian year, and the start of our anticipation of the coming of the Christ child. For whatever reason, I am especially excited about the season this year. Our tree has been up since last week, and today, I make our family an Advent wreath that I hope will withstand time. Tonight we did our first family devotion. I'd love for that to become a tradition with us, not just in the Advent season, but always.



Tonight, we read a couple of different verses. First, our "memory verse" for Advent is John 8:12. "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" Maybe my favorite part of the devotion tonight was when Jack piped up, " I will follow Him!!!" I pray that my children will walk in the light of the Lord, and love that childlike enthusiasm that he has. (If you were at First United Methodist Church in Frankfort today, you would have heard Jack nearly commandeer the Children's Sermon with his enthusiasm!!!)



Then, we had a brief liturgy and another reading from Isaiah 2:1-5, which was the text for Reverend Sayre's sermon, "We Need Hope!" today. That passage concludes with a similar thought to the memory verse. "Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the LORD."



So, it is my goal, this Advent season, to walk in the light of the Lord, to be an example to my family and friends, and to keep that light ever burning in my heart. I hope to post a brief Advent reflection daily...but you know how that goes. I get a little overwhelmed with the day to day and the light begins to dim. Pray for me and help me persevere! Know that I appreciate you for reading and giving me those virtual hugs in the form of comments. Your support means sooo much! XXOO!

Comments

Megan said…
It's one of the best traditions you can create for your children, Elly. One of my fondest memories of Christmases past, is gathering around in my grandmother's living room, watching her smooth the pages of Luke, and hear her read, in her slow, steady voice, from the Christmas story.

I was struck today, listening to my own church's start of advent, at what an amazing legacy of faithful, Christ-followers from which I come. I hope I can live up to their legacy ...

Popular Posts