Freezer Cookin' Friday!

Today, I decided to stock my freezer. I have been meaning to do this for a while, but it hasn't happened yet. I made it happen today.

I prepared triple batches of the following:

  • Cranberry Chicken
  • Beef Bowtie Bake
  • Penne with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese
  • Chili

All but the chili came from the Don't Panic! cookbooks, with my adaptations. The chili is mine. Tomorrow, I will bake some cornbread as well...I just got tired today! Plus, I baked a pan of brownies and made a salad to take over to a friend who is moving and feeding her volunteer labor force.

Later, I will post pictures and a cost breakdown of the meals. My goal was to be as cost effective as possible. I shopped at Sav-a-Lot and Kroger, kept a detailed list of the amount I paid for each item, and bought as much on sale as I could. I think I did well. Without the receipts handy,I am going to estimate that cranberry chicken was the priciest meal at about $8...but it serves 4 to 6, so I feel pretty good about that. The pasta dishes were probably around $6 or so, and serve 4-6. You can't beat that!!!

I plan on baking some homemade bread this weekend, too...never done that before and I am not a great baker, so we'll see how that turns out.

I have opened so many cans of tomatoes, beans, sauce, etc, that my arms got a great workout! I am proud of myself, excited to get the final tallies on the prices, and completely exhausted!!!

Comments

Ashley Hasty said…
Sounds like a dish meal! What time can I come over? ;)


http://ashleyanderic.blogspot.com
Jan Murray said…
But it is SO worth it. I love to see young people actually cooking! It is so much healthier.
Megan said…
I want to buy a deep freezer to put in my teacher crap room so that I can do the EXACT same thing!! :) YOU ROCK, ELLY GILBERT!!!
Elly Gilbert said…
I have a small one, the size of a mini-fridge, and it is full!!! Pics to come!!

Popular Posts