You're getting veeerrry sleeepy...

My grandmother loves to sleep. She has divorced two husbands because they interfered with her sleep. Derward was a sleepwalker, Clarence snored. I am not making this up.

I inherited her love of snoozing. John says it is a talent. If I sit down, I'm asleep within minutes. My head hits the pillow and I'm out. When life gets tough, I take a nap. It is comforting and refreshing.

My mother, on the other hand, thinks napping is a waste of time. She has often accused me of sleeping my life away. She has a very high energy level and I really believe her body just doesn't need as much sleep as mine does.

As much as I hate to admit it, she might be right. Right before his arrest, Jesus left his disciples alone while he went to the garden to pray. When he came back, rather than finding them in prayer, too, he found them all dozing. Would I have been one of them? Most likely. It was late, still, and quiet. Perfect conditions for a nap.


Paul cautions us in 1 Thessalonians 5:6. "let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake." We have to maintain our awareness, no matter our circumstances. No matter how cozy we might be or how complacent we become, we can't let ourselves go to sleep. We need to resist that temptation and stay fully alert to the Lord's calling.

Comments

Popular Posts