Out with the old, in with the new

2011 is quickly coming to a close. I made some resolutions and it's time to see how I did on those.

1. Lose weight. I think 15 pounds would be doable and would help A LOT!  No.
2. Get organized. Not so much.

3.Sell a crocheted item or two, or more! I did a LOT of crocheting for gifts but didn't try to sell any.

4.Cook four nights a week, and cook different things! Sometimes but not consistently.

5. Read 25 books this year, and document them on this blog. Success! I read at least 30. List to come...later!
6. Blog twice weekly. Nope.

7. Attend a genealogy workshop. Summer, perhaps? Nope.

8. Memorize scripture. A little, but not much.

9. Do something different. Try new things. Zumba, pottery, Bunco, wool spinning...just a few of the things I'd like to try. THIS I did! Yay me.

10. Get back on the Financial Peace train. No.

In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."


Moving on to 2012.  I have five goals for this year.

1. Improve my physical well being through healthy eating and exercise.
2. Continue growing in my Christian walk. (2011 saw lots of growth, but some setbacks.)
3. Continue my creative pursuits- writing, crocheting, sewing.
4. Make my home a peaceful place through organization, decluttering, and sticking to a budget. Welcome people into my home to share in that peace.
5. Read 50 books.

I have some ideas about how to carry this out. I will try to blog more, reporting on my specific goals. I have also selected a passage of scripture to use as my guide this year. 2 Peter 1:5-7 says, "For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love" (ESV). I think that verse speaks to the need to be intentional about  your faith walk- not leaving things up to chance but to work toward building and growing your faith.

The first directive says  "giving all diligence add to your faith virtue" (KJV) or as the NIV says, "goodness." The Amplified Bible notes that virtue includes "excellence, resolution, and Christian energy." I think that this has to drive all of the resolutions on my list. I have to seek to add virtue to my faith, to be sure that the things I strive to do are NOT for selfish reasons, but to be a better Christian and to more closely align myself to the will of God. None of the rest is possible if I lose sight of that. That will be my first step toward accomplishing my other resolutions.

Comments

Popular Posts